Today marks the release of Studio Canal’s 4K release of Ran. The three disc set contains the film on a region free Ultra HD Blu-ray (disc 1) as well as on a regular region A+B+C Blu-ray (disc 2), while a third Blu-ray disc contains a host of extras.
The 4K restoration, which has in recent years been shown on numerous film festivals, was approved by Kurosawa’s director of photography for the film, Shōji Ueda. Earlier this month, the 4K restoration was also made available digitally.
Studio Canal’s three disc set includes the following extras:
- A.K. – Feature length documentary by Chris Maker on Akira Kurosawa
- Akira Kurosawa: The Epic and the Intimate
- Akira Kurosawa by Catherine Cadou
- Art of the Samurai
- Interview with director of photography – Shōji Ueda
- Interview with Michael Brooke – author/journalist
- Interview with Ms Mieko Harada
- Stage appearance at Tokyo International Film Festival 2015
- The Samurai
The Amazon links are affiliate links that give me a small commission for purchases made through them.