I have finished setting up the email alert system, so I thought I’d write a couple of words about how it works and what you can expect from it.
There are actually two different alerts: a News Alert and a Discussion Digest. If you are subscribed to the mailing list, you are currently receiving both alerts. Every email sent includes a link that you can use to modify your subscription or unsubscribe entirely, so if you want to get only one of them or get out entirely, use those links.
A News Alert is sent once a day if there has been a new article on the website. Basically, the stuff you can see on the top left-hand side of this website’s front page. If there has been no new article (like on most days), nothing is sent. News alerts are delivered in the afternoon European time. It’s not an instantaneous alert, so if an article gets posted late in the evening, a link to it will be email to you the next day.
A Discussion Digest email contains links to all active discussion topics, which means both forum threads and comments to news articles. Basically, this is the stuff you can see in the top right corner of this website’s front page. A discussion digest is sent twice a week, Monday and Friday afternoons European time, but only if there has been new activity since the last email.
If you haven’t subscribed to email alerts yet but would like to receive them, you can subscribe here.
Other Ways to Stay in Touch
Other ways to be notified about new content on this website are:
- RSS feeds – Easily the best way to stay up to date.
- Facebook – You may want to enable the “see first” setting (instructions here) for the Akira Kurosawa info Facebook page. By default, Facebook shows posts to only about 20% of those who follow the Facebook page. Like and share posts.
- Twitter – On this website’s profile page, next to the “Follow” button, there should be an icon or menu (depending on your device) that allows you to turn on mobile notifications. That way, you won’t miss a new post. Heart and retweet posts.
- Tumblr – Tumblr is a bit of a mystery to me, but do use it if you are there.
- Reddit – Upvote posts so that new posts become visible on your front page later. Or something like that.
Let me know how this works for you!