Welcome to Akira Kurosawa info!  Log in or Register?

Ridley Scott's The Last Duel will be Rashomonesque

•   link

Vili Maunula

Apparently, the upcoming Ridley Scott film The Last Duel (starring Matt Damon, Adam Driver, Jodie Comer and Ben Affleck) will follow a “Rashomonesque” structure. Or so say this Tweet and this talk.

The film is based on the book The Last Duel: A True Story of Trial by Combat in Medieval France and involves a medieval tale of an alleged rape and a sword duel. Sounds familiar? The script is by Affleck, Damon and Nicole Holofcener. I think it’s the first film since Good Will Hunting where Affleck and Damon are collaborating on the script.

A new Ridley Scott film is always an event for me, so I’m definitely looking forward to this one.

link

Ugetsu

Oh, that is interesting.

Matt Damon became quite a feature around Dublin when he got stuck here doing the final filming on the first wave of Covid. I looked up the true story its based on to try to work out why they were filming in Ireland (I’ve still no idea), and became intrigued by the story, I can see why Scott thought it had movie potential.

From what I’ve read, the only thing we know for certain is the outcome of the duel, historians still argue over whether there was a rape or if it was some sort of set-up. It hadn’t crossed my mind that it was suitable for a Rashomon type structure, but now that I think of it, it seems ideal. I can’t wait to see it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Leave a comment