Welcome to Akira Kurosawa info!  Log in or Register?

Films by Dankan

Tagged: 

•   link

Vili

What’s up with this Japanese actor-turned-writer-turned-director called Dankan? If you look at the titles of the three films that he has written, you’ll notice that two of them reference Kurosawa movies.

His 2005 movie “Shichinin no tomurai” (Seven Funerals) is an obvious play on “Shichinin no samurai” (Seven Samurai), while “Ikinai” (Not living) seems like being derived from “Ikiru” (To live).

As far as I can see, the movies don’t actually seem to have that much to do with Kurosawa’s films. It’s as if just the titles were similar. (Apparently, Dankan actually started writing “Shichinin no tomurai” by simply first coming up with the title, and then taking it from there.

Has anyone seen these films?

link

Jeremy

Never seen any of his movies, nor have I ever heard of him

I search around quickly, am sure you gather much of the same info but all really found out is his real name is Minoru Iizuka.

His movie Ikinai seems interesting, but clearly has nothing to do with Kurosawa movies as you mentioned. A small review is at this site

http://www.thegline.com/dvd-of-the-week/2002/10-02-2002.htm

If I ever come across one of his movies, I’ll watch it but I dont think I will go out of my way to see one.

link

Vili

Jeremy Quintanilla wrote 1 day earlier  » 

If I ever come across one of his movies, I’ll watch it but I dont think I will go out of my way to see one.

My thoughts exactly…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Leave a comment