Welcome to Akira Kurosawa info!  Log in or Register?

Dune influenced by Kurosawa

•   link

Vili

In an interview with Slashfilm, the costumer designer Bob Morgan mentions that Kurosawa’s films influenced the new Dune adaptation:

Watching Akira Kurosawa’s films, too, was a pivotal experience for you and influenced “Dune,” right?

Kurosawa was so inspirational to me as a young man. I think I was probably 18 or 19, I was so caught up in the story and then I also thought, they dressed all these people. They designed all of this, and looking at the masses and thinking, it’s just so vivid, so beautiful and so powerful. Then when I had an opportunity to do this, I did think about Kurosawa.

It’s one thing to have one person standing there, it’s another thing to have 200 people standing there. I remember the day we lined up the Harkonnen soldiers, for the first time in the uniform in the dark, wow. Now that’s a wall or something. We had replicated 200 of them by standing in line or marching through the set in formation.

link

Christopher

Does he mention any specific Kurosawa films? I assume he is especially referring to Emi Wada’s work on Ran and Dreams.

link

Vili

No specific Kurosawa film is mentioned. He speaks about Apocalypse Now a little earlier on though.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Leave a comment