Welcome to Akira Kurosawa info!  Log in or Register?

Article/information on Those Who Make Tomorrow

•   link

Patrick Galvan

I think this’ll be of interest to users on this site. As many know, Kurosawa participated in a 1946 Toho film called “Those Who Make Tomorrow,” which he co-directed with two other people. This film is incredibly obscure and doesn’t appear to be available on any home media platform. But there is some great information out there from sources such as Donald Richie, Stuart Galbraith IV, and Kyoko Hirano, which is compiled into this article here. Details on the film’s story, why it was made, and the greater context surrounding it.

https://www.tohokingdom.com/articles/2018-04-24_kurosawas_missing_film_those_make_tomorrow.html

link

chomei

Great article, thanks for sharing. Fascinating that in order to promote freedom of speech and expression the US imposed total media censorship.

Who said, “consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds?”

link

Patrick Galvan

Thanks for reading! Yeah, the occupation was a big, convoluted mess full of self-contradictions and rapidly changing agendas.

link

Ugetsu

Fascinating blog, Patrick, I’ve really enjoyed browsing through. Your interview with Galbraith is great.

link

Patrick Galvan

Thank you for reading and thank you for the kind words, Ugetsu!

link

yjmbobllns

Great essay, I really enjoyed it. Probably more, it seems, than I would enjoy watching the film itself.

link

Patrick Galvan

Thank you for the kind words! Yeah, from the sounds of it, no one except CI&E’s David Conde seemed to have thought much of the film. It sounded like one of those pictures more keen on shoving its agenda in your face as opposed to communicating its message through a well-told story. I would still jump at the chance to see it if I ever had the chance, but I wouldn’t have high expectations.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Leave a comment