Welcome to Akira Kurosawa info!  Log in or Register?

Kurosawa Index

•   link

Vili

Just a quick note and a question, now that I still remember this.

A couple of months ago I came up with the idea that we should build a searchable index of Akira Kurosawa video interviews, books, movies and articles. Basically, what I had in mind was something that would allow you to do a search much like you would on Google, just the material searched would be the above (Kurosawa interviews, books, movies, articles, etc.). This would make it much easier to locate quotes and such.

Basically, this would mean ripping the subtitles from interviews and movies, and somehow also indexing all the books and articles. I think that the subtitles are quite easy to deal with, but the only Kurosawa book that I know to be available digitally is the Rashomon book, which was published for Kindle. And based on my own experience of digitalising books, it’s a pain to do the scanning and OCR proof reading.

And then there is of course the issue of copyright laws. I’m not sure if making a searchable index somehow violates someone’s claim to something, even if extra special care is taken to make it practically impossible to “reverse engineer” (with the lack of a better term) a whole work based on searches in the Index.

Anyway, I just thought that I would throw this idea out there. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

link

Jeremy

I have access to ExperVision and ABBYY for OCR.

I dont know enough about the rest to comment, but think it’s a capital idea.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Leave a comment