Welcome to Akira Kurosawa info!  Log in or Register?

Seven Samurai mural

•   link

deconstruct

Hello. I stumbled on this page that showed a giant Seven Samurai mural at Toho Studios.

http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/nobish/1161toho.html

It is incredible. Does anyone know of better pictures of this? And can someone provide translation of the page? Thank you.

link

Jeremy

Wow that is really neat. I’ll be in Japan soon, and if I can figure out where this is, I can take a picture. I have some fancy cameras that will be able to capture straight on, for a large usable image. Granted this place doesn’t have some sort of security that would prevent me from doing so, although I find a way, wouldn’t mind have a good shot of that ๐Ÿ™‚

Here’s a laughable translations of the website, Japanese doesnt really translate into English. Using Google language tools:

This Toshiro Mifune’s FUTEBUTESHI is hell. ๅŠฉใ‘ใ‚’ๆฑ‚ใ‚ใฆใใŸ่พฒๆฐ‘ใซใ‚‚ใ€ใ‚นใ‚ฏใƒชใƒผใƒณใฎใ“ใกใ‚‰ๅดใซใ„ใ‚‹่ฆณๅฎขใซใ‚‚ใ€ๆ„›ๆƒณใฎใ€Œใ‚ใ€ใฎๅญ—ใ‚‚ใชใๆจชใ‚’ๅ‘ใ„ใฆใถใ™ใฃใจใ—ใฆใ„ใ‚‹ใ€‚ Farmers have been calling for help to the screen this side of the audience, the affable “Oh,” the letter nor sideways Bang on.

ใ‚ดใ‚ธใƒฉ

ๆ”นใ‚ใฆ่จ€ใ†ใพใงใ‚‚ใชใๆ—ฅๆœฌๆ˜ ็”ปๅฒไธŠใซ็‡ฆ็„ถใจ่ผใๅไฝœใ€Œไธƒไบบใฎไพใ€๏ผˆ็›ฃ็ฃ๏ผš้ป’ๆพคๆ˜Žใ€1954๏ผ‰ใฎไธƒไบบใŒๆƒใฃใŸใ‚นใƒใƒซใ‚ทใƒงใƒƒใƒˆใ ใŒใ€ไธ‰่ˆนๆ•้ƒŽๆผ”ใšใ‚‹่Šๅƒไปฃใฎๅœงๅ€’็š„ใชๅญ˜ๅœจๆ„Ÿใซ็›ฎใŒ้‡˜ไป˜ใซใชใฃใฆใ€ไป–ใฎๅ…ญไบบใŒใ‚ˆใ่ฆ‹ใˆใชใ„ใ€‚ Needless to say again that the history of Japanese film and bright sunshine masterpiece “Seven Samurai” (director: Akira Kurosawa, 1954) Seven people were shot, but still balanced, Toshiro Mifune me chrysanthemum Toyo’s overwhelming presence in the eyes with nails in the other six people. many invisible. ใ‚ปใ‚ญใƒฅใƒชใƒ†ใ‚ฃใ‚ทใ‚นใƒ†ใƒ ใ‚’ๅฎŒๅ‚™ใ—ใŸๆ’ฎๅฝฑๆ‰€ใฎใ‚จใƒณใƒˆใƒฉใƒณใ‚นใงใ€ไธๆณ•ไพตๅ…ฅ่€…ใ‚’ๅจๅš‡ใ™ใ‚‹ใ‚ดใ‚ธใƒฉใ‚‚้œžใ‚“ใงใ—ใพใ†ใปใฉใฎ่ฟซๅŠ›ใ ใ€‚ Security system to a complete photographic studio entrance of the illegal trespassers threatening Godzilla also away from the more powerful.

ใ“ใฎๅฃ็”ปใจใ‚ดใ‚ธใƒฉๅƒใซใคใ„ใฆๆฑๅฎใฏใ€ใ€Œๆ—ฅๆœฌๆ˜ ็”ปใŒ็››ใ‚ŠไธŠใŒใฃใฆใ„ใ‚‹ไปŠใ€ใ“ใฎไบŒใคใฎๅไฝœใ‚’่ถ…ใˆใ‚‹ใใ‚‰ใ„ใฎไฝœๅ“ใŒๅ‡บใฆใใฆใปใ—ใ„ใจใ„ใ†ๆ€ใ„ใ‚’ใ“ใ‚ใŸใ€ใจใ‚ณใƒกใƒณใƒˆใ‚’็™บ่กจใ—ใฆใ„ใ‚‹ใŒใ€ใ“ใ‚Œใ‚’่ถŠใˆใ‚‹ๅ็”ปใ€ๅๅ„ชใ€ๅ็›ฃ็ฃใฏๅ‡บใฆใใ‚‹ใฎใ ใ‚ใ†ใ‹ใ€‚ The paintings and statues of Toho Co., Godzilla, “the Japanese movie that rowdy now, the two of the classic works is about more than getting the feeling that you want to kid” and the comment, but it crosses a famous painting, fine, The director’s name come up?

ไธๅฎ‰ใงใ‚‚ใ‚ใ‚Šใ€ๆฅฝใ—ใฟใงใ‚‚ใ‚ใ‚‹ใ€‚ But fear and fun, too.

a chrysanthemum is a Asian flower, I go no idea, why the hell that was brought up. Maybe something with Mifune and cherry blossoms from Sanjuro(?)

link

Ben

Holy cow! Quite amazing.

Yes, Jeremy, if you are able to track down this particular Toho Studios building, it would be wonderful to get some proper pictures.

link

Ben

Jeremy, the staff of this site http://www.tohokingdom.com/

might be able to help you figure out where this building is before you leave. Apparently the studios headquarters is in Chiyoda, Tokyo, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiyoda%2C_Tokyo

link

Jeremy

Thanks Ben, I know exactly where chiyoda is, I’ve properly been blocks away from the studio and just not know it.

Am sure asking around for the studios location should be easy, they have a city office with english speakers on certain days that could help.

link

Jeremy

I came back from Japan a few days ago and sadly I wasnt able to get a photo of the studio.

I first wrongly assumed based of the address giving for Toho Studios they where located in Chiyoda city, Chiyoda district of Tokyo–WRONG, and it took me 2 hours of the half-day I gave to taking a photo of this place to realize the problem.

I did some research at a nearby Starbucks and find out that they are really in Yurakucho city, Chiyoda district of Tokyo and just have a Chiyoda city address. After some trouble mostly due to the fact that Tokyo doenst label many streets and the signs are in Japanese gave me bit of extra trouble. I found the Toho Studios but it was nothing more then a skyscraper with a clothing store at the bottom. Thinking I had to be close I wondered around and found a small park/outdoor lunch area/smoking area with a 2′ tall Godzilla statue on a pedestal.

Knowing there was a Godzilla statue outside the studios I thought again I had to be close and wondered around wasting more time, with no luck. It was a good hour before I remember that the Godzilla statue outside the actual audio is around 6′ tall and directly in front of the building. Upon recalling that, hungry, tried and having better things to do then wonder the empty streets of the business areas I gave up.

The rest of the trip I manage to be too consumed with other stuff to break away to find this place. Also my time in Tokyo was towards to end of my trip and not part of my mini-vacation time in which I was in other areas of Japan.

I did however upon further discovery learn that the actual studio is in Kinuta city, Setagaya district of Tokyo. I was going to make a quick trip, but I learned that there are no subways that head to that area and to get there without access to a car, requires a bit of effort of riding various old railways to get to the city. Then upon which I had no idea where within the city it is located. I just decided to not bother– I will next time. Sorry as I really did want to get a photo of this, as it would of been to only relaxing/touristy thing I did in Tokyo the rest of time I was battle the insane amounts of people everywhere–damn shopping season and the fact my business plans where in the heart of the very busy Shinbuya district.

link

Vili

Well, you were still pretty determined to get that photo! I would probably have given up after those two hours in Chiyoda! ๐Ÿ™‚

Japan, as a place where streets have no name (although in a different way than in the U2 song), is a bit difficult for a foreigner to navigate. I often had problems finding my way to new places even in my adopted home city, Matsue (Shimane prefecture), where I lived. As a European so accustomed to streets names and house numbers, it was strange to enter a world with no (or very few) such labels.

link

Ben

Well hey, Jeremy, at least you tried, and at least you were in Japan! But man their address/street/sign system… or lack there of.

link

Jeremy

Well I just thought the mural was kind of cool and I did sort of say I would get a photo for the guy that posted about it.

Japan was nice, except Tokyo that place really wears me down. Although its a great place to be for a short time.

The address system or lack thereof was perhaps my largest problem, finding my Hotels for example was a pain, even when they where only blocks from the train station. I often let my pride get in the way and refused to ask for help finding anything, so I pay the price by walking and walking and walking.

I also quickly realized my Japanese is not nearly as good as I tricked myself into believing, and found ordering food in nice restaurants perhaps the biggest hassle. Thankfully they have those fantastic meal ticket vending machines when a needed I quick meal, so I could avoid spending 30mins deciphering the menu and trying to communicate with the waiter.

All in all I really enjoyed it, other then Tokyo and Hiroshima(I really like this place) I avoided the big towns and gave a bit of the traditional living a try. It was really great, staying at some nice ryokans, eating some very nice meals, relaxing in a onsen, wearing a kimono and drinking way too much sake. I couldnt help but feel like Mifune in some Kurosawa movie–well if was just seating around in a tub, regretting drinking the entire bottle of sake, which he only did because everyone else was doing it.–LOL.

At one point I was tempted to grab a broom handle and walk around swinging my “sword” but I figure I shouldn’t give all Americans a bad name, since I was the only one there I should attempt the make us look good, so I much I wanted to react something out of Yojimbo- I didnt. ๐Ÿ™‚

link

Vili

Also I really enjoyed Hiroshima whenever I visited the city. I can’t really say why, for it is (for obvious reasons) much more modern and sterile than much of the rest of Japan. Yet, I always had a great time there.

And they of course have their okonomiyaki, which the locals are adamant is only made properly in Hiroshima. ๐Ÿ˜‰ It’s really good, too.

I once did something vaguely similar to the walk that you decided not to do. When I was in Japan as an exchange student, I practised with the school’s kendo club every weekday evening (except for Fridays, when I studied tea ceremony with a lovely older lady).

One day my kendo master decided that having me walk around the whole school with my full kendo outfit on (except for the helmet) would serve as a good way to advertise the sport/art to the rest of the school. After all, our kendo group consisted of only some 15 members, while sports like baseball and soccer were absolutely crowded with students.

So, I did the walk, which was sort of interesting. As a foreigner, I was of course fully accustomed to people staring at me, but I must say that the stares a white European gets when he walks around a school in a full kendo outfit are somewhat different. People seem to lose a control of their jaws, and all that. ๐Ÿ˜€

At that time my hair was really long as well, and instead of the blue colour kendo outfit that men typically wear, I always wore white, which is usually favoured with women. So, I guess the shock was multiplied by these variables.

My hair and white outfit actually apparently made me locally famous in the kendo circles, and I heard of rumours about a white-wearing long haired foreigner who was exceptionally good at kendo. The truth, of course, was that I was terrible at it. The only thing I could do as well as my group mates was sit still on my legs.

In any case, three or four new students joined the kendo club soon after my walk, so I guess my master knew what he was doing. And I, of course, had the opportunity to talk with a lot of new students after this who came to ask me about why I’m practising kendo.

link

Jeremy

Funny story, I could imagine how the rumors would fly.

link

Ben

Sounds like its ripe for a movie… A white robed, long haired foreigner… mummers of a Kendo master… I can see the poster now.

link

Vili

But who would play me?

link

BMWRider

Vili wrote 6 hours earlier  » 

But who would play me?

If you were lucky, Johnny Depp.

link

Vili

Just as long as it’s not a poor three-hour-long sequel to a pirate themed film based on a brilliant early-90s video game, I’m ok with the idea. In that case I’d prefer not to have Burton behind the camera, however, if in any way possible.

link

Jeremy

How about Willie Nelson as lead ๐Ÿ™‚

link

Vili

Well, the physical likeness is certainly more to the point there, but can Willie act well enough to bring out all the complex nuances that my persona (and/or ego) demands? :p

Of course, you could make it as a country musical. But then we would probably need Baz Luhrmann to helm it, or it would be a total disaster.

link

deconstruct

Hi – wow I did not know you went to such lengths to try to get the picture. Thank you Jeremy. I came back to update the thread. I found another picture. http://flickr.com/photos/ericflexyourhead/1880173459/

link

Jeremy

Wasn’t a big deal deconstruct, if I didnt look for the studio, I would of still wondered around looking for something else. Wondering around aimlessly is what I do best ๐Ÿ™‚

Willie, need not act, he just stands and doesnt talk.

The entire move evolves around a character that does nothing, but create incredible rumorers by doing nothing. For you see the main character knows the minute he does anything, people will realize how unskilled he is and the mystery that makes him amazing will disappear. The theme of the movie would be how people what to make a god like person from nothing.

Or something to that nature LOL– anyone steals my awesome movie idea–gets sued. ๐Ÿ™‚

link

Vili

Of course, your version would not be historically very accurate, Jeremy. I did take part in a few tournaments, and got my ass kicked pretty badly.

So, could you sacrifice the Truth for the sake of Art? That’s the question.

link

Jeremy

Well, which one will get me funded and win a Palm d’Or? ๐Ÿ˜‰

link

Vili

In that case it’s a moot point. All you really need is Michael Moore.

Which I guess translates as “neither”?

link

Jeremy

HAHA Michael Moore, thats a good one

link

deconstruct

Sorry, here is the official page. It even has a map. If only we knew 2 months ago.

http://www.tohostudio.jp/

(Click on “Topics!!” at the top for better pictures.)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

Leave a comment