Welcome to Akira Kurosawa info!  Log in or Register?

Seven Samurai Adaptations: Character Designs

Tagged: 

•   link

lawless

I thought the group might be interested in these character designs an (apparent) art student has done for a portfolio project for a Seven Sisters adaptation of Seven Samurai set in a fictional steampunk Middle East/Central Asian world with hijabis.

link

Vili

Thanks lawless. Sounds bizarre. 🙂 But looks quite Disney!

link

lawless

I’m sure the resemblance to Disney is deliberate. Sure, it’s bizarre and seems like a stretch, but that’s what’s great about this and other classic films: they’re elastic and can be stretched in a number of different ways. I, for one, like seeing adaptations that bring something new to the mix. All hail remix culture!

p.s. — While I’m still getting used to less monochromatic site design, I greatly appreciate the update. So far I haven’t run into anything that’s broken.

link

Vili

Oh, the Disney bit was definitely meant as a complement to the artist! The classic hand drawn Disney design is great. And indeed, cultural remixing can produce some pretty interesting results.

I’m happy to hear that the website update hasn’t been a total pain to receive. There definitely is a bit more colour around here now. Do tell me though if it’s too much. 🙂

link

Ugetsu

Beautiful drawings – and what an intriguing idea for an adaption, It looks like it could be great.

Vili, I got a bit of a surprise logging in – I love the new look! I was away for a week so haven’t been checking the site regularly.

link

Vili

Thanks Ugetsu! I think I will still be tweaking the look a little bit here and there, but all in all I’m quite happy with it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Leave a comment