Welcome to Akira Kurosawa info!  Log in or Register?

An introduction

Tagged: 

•   link

Vili Maunula

This introductory section is in no way compulsory. If you choose write one about yourself, you are of course free to write about yourself up to any detail you wish to. Although bear in mind that this website is aiming to be child-friendly, so keep some details to yourself. ­čśë

I’m actually personally not one to write too much about myself, but perhaps I might at least say that my name is Vili Maunula and that I am a theoretical linguist at days, and the webmaster of this website (and a number of others) at nights.

I got into Kurosawa through an old language teacher of mine. I was still in primary school back then (7th grade, I think), when she told me that if I wanted to see a really good movie she would lend me one. (I don’t remember why she told me this, but it was probably a reaction to something or other I had said in class.) The film she brought me the next day was ‘Seven Samurai’. I went home, fed it to my VHS player, and that’s where it all started. A year later I had seen all the classics, and about half a decade later I found myself in Japan where I saw the rest of Kurosawa’s films, and started to learn what the country is all about (not that Kurosawa would have been the only reason I chose Japan).

link

Lewis Saul

Wow, do you still live in Japan?

I want to go there so bad. Someday.

I discuss who I am and how I got into Kurosawa on my blog, so I guess I’ll just post that and if you’re interested, there it is:

Lewis Saul

http://www.lewissaul.blogspot.com

link

Vili Maunula

No, I don’t. I’m thinking of going back one day, though, if only for a year or two. I haven’t actually been to the country for about 8 years now. I quite miss the place.

link

yippee

Hi all. Happy to see this site! Happy to know that Kurosawa is still relevant and meaningful to people out there, and that there are those looking forward to celebrating his upcoming 100th!

I belong to an OZU group, as well, (http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/ozu/) and I am also interested in Mizoguchi, Kobayashi (Japanese post-War cinema in general) and the writings of Yasunari Kawabata. My other interests are in the visual arts, art history, educational travel and culture studies. I am a (lapsed) language learner of Chinese, a painter and work in education.

link

Vili Maunula

Welcome to the group, yippee. ­čÖé

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Leave a comment