Welcome to Akira Kurosawa info!  Log in or Register?

Hello

Tagged: 

•   link

Shintsurezuregusa

Hi, I found this site via Facebook not expecting much but was so impressed by the level of discussion and analysis here that I felt compelled to join!

I regard myself as more of an Ozu or Imamura fan but I do consider Akahige and Ikiru as two of my all time favourite movies. I have seen and own about half of Kurosawa’s films, have watched several documentaries on the man, and have read a bit about him – Something Like an Autobiography, The Emperor and the Wolf, Donald Richie’s essays etc.

I hope that I can contribute to the discussion here; I see that Grave of the Fireflies is next on the movie club list – I love Ghibli and Takahata’s movies in particular but, despite owning it, I find Grave of the Fireflies difficult to watch; I think I only managed to watch the whole thing once – it’s a real “tear-jerker.”

link

Vili Maunula

Welcome to the group, Shintsurezuregusa! I hope I spelled that right. 🙂 Is that a reference to Essays in Idleness?

Glad to hear that we have been able to exceed your expectations. It’s also great to have more Ozu and Imamura knowledge here. Speaking of Imamura, in the past half a year we have watched and discussed both The Ballad of Narayama and Black Rain. If you feel like joining those discussions, it would be really interesting to hear your thoughts on the films.

It’s good to have you with us! And do let me know if you have any feedback about the way the website functions (or doesn’t). I’m always keen to hear about the user experience for new users.

link

Shintsurezuregusa

Yes, it’s a reference to Essays in Idleness – “shin” meaning “new.”

“What a strange, demented feeling it gives me when I realize I have spent whole days before this [laptop], with nothing better to do, jotting down at random whatever nonsensical thoughts that have entered my head”

I am enjoying looking around the site. Glad I came across it.

link

Vili Maunula

Essays in Idleness is probably my favourite of all the classics of medieval Japanese literature, not that I have read beyond the basics. Well, that or Hōjōki.

Anyway, we very much welcome your thoughts, nonsensical or otherwise!

link

Ugetsu

Hello and welcome, Shintsurezuregusu (it will take me a while to remember how to spell that!) Its great to have someone new posting here. I’m a big fan of Ozu too and I like Imamura, although sometimes I’ve found it hard to get my head around his approach to film making.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Leave a comment