Welcome to Akira Kurosawa info!  Log in or Register?

Greetings!

Tagged: 

•   link

SilentDaze

I have been watching AK’s work for a few months now and I really enjoy it! So far I’ve seen these:

-Seven Samurai

-Drunken Angel

-Ran

-Sanshiro Sugata 1 & 2

-Rashomon

-Ikiru

-Yojimbo

-Kagemusha

-Red Beard

Next I’m gonna check out Stray Dog, and Scandal. I really enjoy Toshiro Mifune and Takashi Shimura’s roles in Kurosawa films, they work well together. I can honestly say I liked all the films I’ve seen so far, the camera work is great, and the lighting is always inspiring.

Mifune was really good in Seven Samurai, he played his role so well. I liked how the story was laid out, I enjoyed it.

Drunken Angel was amazing, a glimpse into Yakuza and the diehard nature. Shimura and Mifune were spectacular.

Ran was moving, I especially liked the ending and how cause and effect was so evident.

Sanshiro Sugata I enjoyed because of the nobility of the fights, very admirable.

Rashomon was a great story, Kurosawa was very inventive with his storytelling.

Ikiru I just saw today, and it was quite moving. I’ve had health problems myself and Shimura really captured it. The Life is Brief song got to me as well, a very good movie.

Yojimbo was awesome because Mifune got to unleash his fury which was fun to watch. I’ve seen Fistful of Dollars and I prefer Yojimbo by far.

Kagemusha was special, the way the kagemusha fills the role is inspiring and it has so many things to learn from.

Red Beard was good as well, a lot of emotion and very powerful.

I look forward to seeing as much of Akira Kurosawa’s work as possible ­čÖé

link

Vili Maunula

Welcome to the group, SilentDaze! I’m happy to hear that you have discovered Kurosawa, and found his films inspiring. You have seen quite a number of his films already, but there is still a lot for you to discover. Let us know how you proceed!

Our film club is currently discussing the Sanshiro Sugata films, and seeing as you have watched these films recently, if you wish to join in, feel free to contribute to the discussion!

link

SilentDaze

Well I just saw Sanjuro, epic! I loved the pace of the film, always kept me interested. You can really tell all the nuances that added to the movie. One being the single camellia falling towards the end, I read that it was done with a string of nylon. Also the ending fight scene was really well done, had good suspense and all in one take! The blood explosion surprised me, I thought it was a little much but I really liked it lol.

Toshiro Mifune was excellent, his acting ability really shines when Kurosawa directs him. I recently saw ‘Shogun’, and although I did enjoy his work in there, I have to agree with his sentiment “I am proud of nothing I have done other than with him”.

link

Vili Maunula

A fun fact: If I remember correctly, the final scene has quite a bit more blood shooting out than had been originally planned. But like you, Kurosawa liked the result, and kept it. ­čÖé

link

SilentDaze

I’m still trying to wrap my head around Mifune’s sword draw at the end, I just can’t emulate it lol. He draws it with his left, and twists the blade toward him as it exits the sheath. It just seems awkward to do.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Leave a comment