Welcome to Akira Kurosawa info!  Log in or Register?

Best DVD to purchase for Rashomon, etc.

Tagged: 

•   link

Amnesty11

I scanned the reviews here a little, but can’t quite decide what to purchase. Am turning 50 in a month and thought I’d purchase a good set (or two!) of the best releases as a present for myself. I know there is discussion all over this board about that, but want to get started quickly on Rashomon so hoped I could impose this question on the aficionados here….

link

Vili

Did you look at the DVD guide, Amnesty?

link

Ugetsu

From my experience, when in doubt, go for Criterion, they may be expensive but the quality is usually unbeatable.

link

Vili

No no, what Ugetsu meant to say is: when in doubt, check Vili’s DVD guide. 😉

But seriously, Criterion is a safe bet with Kurosawa, although be careful with a couple of the older releases like Seven Samurai and Yojimbo, which Criterion has since replaced with updated and vastly superior releases.

link

Amnesty11

Thanks all. Vili, my apologies. I did a general search in the search box here and linked up to another sight’s review of the DVDs. Then a broader google search to find even more reviews etc. I don’t know what I wrote in that initial search box that took me so far afield, but clearly it I didn’t stay here in the AK Universe.

However, luckily, I did purchase the Criterion release of Rashomon and it arrives tomorrow! It looks like the single Criterion releases may be the better way to go, merely because I love the voice over feature after I’ve watched the movie and the other special features on Criterion.

Thanks for the link to your DVD guide. I was truly just rushing to purchase because I want to get started, but will use it as my “go-to” from now on.

Also just wondering, (maybe I will start another thread about this) if anyone else finds Blue-Ray versions annoyingly real? I will start that thread soon ’cause I have a lot to say about it….

link

Amnesty11

P.S. The AK 100 box doesn’t include the voice over commentary, if I’m correct. Does include a book that many seem to love, but the commentary is more important to me, so the single releases may be my best choice…whenever possible.

link

Vili

Indeed, the AK100 box set lacks the extras, so if you want the commentaries and the documentaries (which are definitely worth it!), definitely go for the individual releases.

link

cocoskyavitch

Amnesty, the Criterion Collection does single release bells and whistle projects that are delicious: I love their booklet and commentary and special focus extras on Mizoguchi with Ugetsu, and the similarly gorgeous and most recent Kurosawa’s Seven Samurai that Vili mentioned comes with a very nice, very lovely booklet and extras.

I love choosing to watch a film with or without the commentary, too. It’s like having a friend entertaining/illuminating/blathering on while you watch. When it begins to bother me I turn it off. It’s very nice. What I find incredibly valuable, though, are the film extras. Pure gold, some of them!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Leave a comment